Thursday, September 05, 2013

Day 2 of this week: Ran 2.8 miles

My run took me about 56 minutes. I'm using the same run/walk ratio that I've been using: 90 seconds running and 60 seconds walking. I started running at 6:30 pm, and the path was mostly shade, especially on the return half. My wife came with me to the Jordan River Parkway, and she walked approximately 1.8 miles. I didn't carry any water with me and used the fountain at the parking lot at the beginning and end of my run. When I do carry water, I use a fuel belt that holds six 8-ounce bottles.

On the way back, I saw two flocks of quail. I was closer to them than I was on Monday, and I confirmed in my mind that they were quail. There were about a dozen in the first flock and about 6 or 7 quail in the second flock. The younguns are getting pretty big, so they are finding sufficient food to allow them to grow. I don't remember seeing quail during the winter, so they must migrate south or somewhere. They can fly, but I usually see them when they are walking on the path.

On my way back, I was passed by a younger runner ( probably in his later 30s), and he asked how I was feeling. I replied, "tired". And, then I added, "I'm getting old". He replied with, "You're doing good".

I was tired during my run. Not from running but from mowing my lawns this afternoon. I cut some of the lawn on Tuesday evening. Then I cut some more last evening, and I finished it this afternoon. Mowing my lawn takes more time than I spend on running, and it takes more energy than running. I'm glad that tomorrow is a rest day. I water my lawns via a sprinkling system that turns on during the night, every other day. So, I don't have to spend time or energy watering my lawn. When I lived in Massachusetts, I never watered my lawn or garden -- I let mother nature do it for me. Here in the Utah desert, I have to water everything three or four times per week.


No comments:

Post a Comment