Saturday, November 10, 2012

Ran 2 miles, about 38 minutes

We have about 6 inches of snow of the ground. Winter has finally come to Utah. I did a short run of 2 miles in the late afternoon. I had considered going to a local recreation center and using an indoor track, but I decided that our daytime temperature of slightly above freezing was enough to melt the snow on the Parkway path, and I ran on that path. Except for a few shady spots, the path was free of snow, but it was wet from melting snow. Because I ran in late afternoon, there was a danger of the water freezing, making the path slick, and I reduced my run to be sure I would be finished before the sun set behind the Oquirrh Mountains. In addition, I hadn't eaten much since last night, and my body wasn't developing much heat -- I barely had enough energy to do the short run. I felt the cold more than I had expected, likely due to my lack of food during the day and to this being my first experience this winter with cold (it takes a few runs for my body to adapt to the colder temperatures). The shade temperature during my run was slightly above freezing, and I wore my usual three layers. There was no wind during my run.

No comments:

Post a Comment