Monday, February 13, 2012

Ran/walked 2 miles & felt pretty good

I invited my wife to come with me while I ran and walked along the Jordan River Parkway. She is a fast walker, and she walked almost as fast as my combination of running and walking. I was delayed getting started, because I had to sync my GPS with the satellites, and this allowed my wife to get about 1/8 mile in front of me. I slowly gained on her, and I caught up with her just before our turn-around point at 1 mile. On the way back, I slowed my running just a bit so we would be together during the mile back to our car. It was late afternoon when we went out, and the sun was low enough in the sky that it was behind clouds. The temperature was in the high 40s (F) during the workout, and once we were warmed up, we felt fine.

I only had 4 1/2 hours of sleep Saturday night (7 hours last night), so my energy level was low during our workout today. I taught a class in church yesterday morning, and when I teach I often wake up early and don't get a full night's sleep due to anxiety about the class. My wake up heart rate was 58 this morning, but it will take me at least a week of good sleep to get my energy level back to normal levels. I'll be teaching this class (marriage and family relations) every other week for another month, so my running will be probably be reduced during the coming month. By mid March we'll be through with the sequence of 8 classes, and my wife and I won't teach again until new people are invited to attend the class.

While driving to the Parkway, my wife looked in her bird-book and identified the black birds with white beaks as American Coots. The picture in the book was exactly like the birds I see in the Jordan River. The book described how the Coots walk on the water until they get enough speed to be airborne, and we saw some of them doing that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment