Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ran 1.5 miles and then went home

I'm really goofed up in my schedule. Rather than run in the morning like I should be doing, I waited until late afternoon. I only ran 1.5 miles before I gave up and went home. My problem was that I ate lunch about an hour before I went running, and I had a hard time breathing while I was out. Eating that close to my run was a dumb thing to do. I've made that mistake many times in the past, and one would think I would have learned my lesson about eating and running. I need at least two hours between a good meal and my running. I can eat a small amount of easy digestible food before I run, such as a handful of Cheerios or a piece of dry toast shortly before I run, but not much more than that. Another mistake that I made yesterday, which actually led to my eating too much for lunch, was that I skipped breakfast.

The sky during my run was overcast, but there was no noticeable wind. The temperature was in the mid 40s (F).

Both of my legs are swelling during the day, and I've decided to cut my distance down a bit to see if that helps reduce the swelling. Most of my runs this Spring and probably Summer and Fall will be 2-3 miles, with occasional jaunts of 5 miles. I'm not too worried about the swelling, because it does significantly decrease during the night. This swelling is a new thing that started about a month ago. One nice thing that my reduced distance will allow me to do is to run longer before I walk. I'm currently running 3 minutes, and I'll slowly increase that up to 5 or 6 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. We must have different metabolisms Alan. I procrastinated also yesterday morning and didn't go out until I'd had three large pancakes smothered in treacle for lunch. After jogging for two miles I launched into 5 x 400m repetitions of 99secs with 400m recovery - then jogged home. I was using a metronome set at 96 (Rt foot strikes) per minute to control my cadence. In spite of a fullish stomach when I set off, it turned out to be a very good work-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along with different metabolisms, we have a difference of altitude. When I lived in Massachusetts at an altitude of about 400 feet, I could eat a full meal and go right out. But now I'm in Utah at an altitude of 4400 feet, and I need 2-3 hours after I eat a meal before I run. Less oxygen in the air means my body needs more air-flow to get sufficient oxygen to digest the food AND propel me.

    I'm also 20 years older now, and that might make a difference, too.

    Nice to hear from you again, Runningfox. Your stride rate of 192 is very fast! Mine is usually about 175.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always run in the morning. I found that I felt heavy in the afternoon.
    I run, than I have a good lunch with a glass of red wine and I go for a little siesta and I spend the afternoon in front of my computer. That's what works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a very bad sleeper and always feel tired when I get up in the morning. Hence I run mainly in the afternoon. I have my glass of red wine, along with four squares of dark chocolate, before I go to bed. Maybe I should change my habits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Florence, nice to hear from you again. I'm glad you've found what works for you! Your afternoon nap is great.

    Runningfox, dark chocolate is a known source of antioxidants, although chocolate is also a good source of calories :( I take three different supplements for antioxidants. If you consider vitamin C as an antioxidant, then I'm taking four.

    Vitamin D is something that most persons are deficient in. The US minimum daily requirement of 400 IU is way low. I'm taking 5000 IU daily. Scientists are finding that vitamin D is involved in almost everything concerning our bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allen, I've been taking 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily this winter too. I was feeling a bit 'low' after weeks with hardly any sunshine. Someone suggested I take D3, and I think it helps.

    ReplyDelete