Saturday, November 19, 2011

A great, wonderful, 7.6 mile long run

My wakeup heart rate was 56, and I felt fine when I woke up. We had about 3-4 inches of light snow last night, and I decided to wait until mid day to run so the snow would be melted from the Parkway path. I added 10 seconds to my running, giving me 100 seconds of running and 40 seconds of walking. During my run I could tell I was going farther each interval, and my "splits" showed that to be true. At 60 minutes, I had run 3.6 miles compared to 3.2 miles last week. At 100 minutes I had run 5.6 miles, compared to 5.2 miles last week, and at 140 minutes I had run 7.6 miles. I think most of my increased distance was due to my running 10 seconds more each interval, although I did have a pace that was a bit faster than in the past. I felt great while running, and I concentrated on using a mid-foot strike and bending my knees more. I'm a shuffler, and when I get tired, I usually start to scrape the path with scratching sound. However, today, due to my bending my knees more, I was able to run with almost no noise clear up to the end of my run. A wonderful run!

This is the first time in several weeks that I've gone more than 5+ miles. I hope that I can repeat this long run next week.

It was about 2:00 when I started, and when I finished 2 hours 20 minutes later the sun was down and it was getting dark. By the time I reached home, it was dark. While the sun was out, I enjoyed the warmth of the sun, but after the sun went down, I started to feel on my arms the cold nylon of my windbreaker (my T-shirt had short sleeves). And, my fingers were a bit cold due to my not wearing gloves. But it was a great day for running. Temperature in the low 50s (F) and no wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment