Wednesday, November 23, 2011

As I ran, I felt like a sailboat -- going the wrong way!

I parked at the South Jordan City East Pavilion and headed south on my usual 5-mile route. I fought a strong head wind, probably around 20 mph. I slowed down and tried to conserve my energy, but that didn't help much. I could tell I was getting tired, and I reduced the time running and increased the time walking. After I had gone about 1.8 miles I decided to turn around and head back. I told myself that if I reached the East Pavilion and still had some energy left, I could continue going north to the tunnel under 106th South and back. That would give me another 1.1 miles. But, when I got to the East Pavilion, I was ready to stop. I ended up with 70 minutes and 3.5 miles. My time and distance were slightly more than my 60-minute rest run, but today's run was no rest!

The good news is that there was a lot of sun and the temperature was in the low 50s. It was so warm, that I had to remove my windbreaker and finish the run with two layers (a thick cotton long sleeved t-shirt and a thin, shorted sleeved t-shirt). I knew it was warm outside when I dressed for the run, and I should have dressed for 50 degree (F) temperatures. However, I wore what I had used on Monday when the temperature was down in the high 30s. Since I'm running slower than I used to and am doing a lot of walking, my two layers felt fine. In fact, when I was going south with the headwind, I felt fine in three layers. I passed two girls running in shorts, and I thought to myself, Ah... to be young again.

No comments:

Post a Comment