Monday, November 15, 2010

Ran my "rest" run of 5 miles

I felt pretty good this morning. I ate breakfast soon after getting up, and I waited a couple hours before leaving for my run. My body had sufficient energy and felt fine, but my legs started getting tired after about 3 1/2 miles. As I had done on Monday, I switched from 96 left-foot-steps to 45 left-foot-steps, and I finished the run. After I reduced the number of my running-steps, I stopped counting my walking steps, and I just walked until I felt like running again. I probably walked for about 60 or 70 steps (sometimes more). Instead of following the route I used on Saturday, I ran north for 1.5 miles (round trip) and then south for 3.5 miles (round trip). Changing my routes gives more variety to my runs.

The weather was typical Fall weather -- cloudy sky, a 5-8 mph wind, and temperatures in the mid 40s (F). I wore my nylon wind breaker during most of the run. During a mile in the middle of the run, I took the jacket off, but on the way back I put the jacket back on because the headwind felt colder than it had during the first half when it was a tail wind. I took three short rest breaks on benches near the path -- one going out and two coming back. I don't mind sitting for a minute or so when I feel tired, because I'm not training for any particular race. I'm just running for enjoyment.

Right now, the 5-mile run isn't much of a rest. But, when my mid-week medium run is 7 miles, and my Saturday long run is 10 miles, the 5-mile run will be a true rest.

I picked up several pieces of litter on my way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment