Thursday, November 25, 2010

My first ever Thanksgiving run

This week is a rest week, and I decided to do a short run on this Thanksgiving Day. My wakeup heart rate was 54, and I felt great. The temperature was 0 (F) when I got up, but when I left for my run it was 17, and when I returned it was in the mid 20s.

We've had a blizzard and some snow during the past two days (mostly two days ago), but the Parkway path had been plowed, and the path was around 80% clear and dry. There was ice on the path, mostly in shady spots, and most of the ice was covered with a thin layer of snow that was blown onto the path. I ran on the dry spots, jogged on the snow covered ice, and walked on the bare ice.

I ran my planned 2 miles and enjoyed the cold crisp air and wonderful sunny sky. I wore my normal three layers for winter running, and I used a dry pair of stockings for my hands. I wore my wool ski cap, and I pulled it over my face when I started to run. It was a nice way to begin this Thanksgiving Day. During my run I saw two pairs of runners and two walkers, plus two runners on the street as I drove to the Parkway. My wife was concerned about me being alone on the path if I should slip on ice and fall. I assured her there would be other runners there, and I was glad to see them. I always wave hello at the other people I see while I'm running.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Allen! I applaud you for getting out there in the cold. I can't seem to get myself out for the cold runs... have to wait until later in the day when the sun warms things up a bit! Keep runnin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually wait until later in the day, but because it was Thanksgiving, I got out early so I would be home to help my wife with last minute details before our grandkids came.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, It's probably colder in Denver than it is here in the Salt Lake area since Denver is higher. As you probably already know, the secret to running in the winter is wearing layers. The page on winter running in my training site talks about layers. I grew up in a small Utah town that is about the same elevation as Denver, and the cold temperatures are "normal" to me. I have noticed that as I get older, I am going out later in the day when it isn't quite so cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ops... I deleted Jen's comment by mistake. Here is what she said.

    That's awesome Allen!! I tried to run on Thanksgiving morning, but it was tooooo cold for me! I moved out to Denver a few months ago, and I'm still trying to make peace with running in such low temperatures :-) Also, I just wanted to say that I love that you smile and wave at other runners. I do this too, and people can't help but smile back! Works every time. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete