Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ran 3.5 miles today

I increased my run by half a mile and ran 3.5 miles. I also ran faster and averaged 17.4 minutes per mile. I ran the 30 seconds running and 30 seconds walking ratio recommended by Jeff Galloway. There is a local 5K race in May and another one in June that I'm considering. My total time today was 54 minutes for 3.1 miles, and if I can get my time below 50 minutes I might register for the May race.

My 5K PB 28 years ago when I ran marathons was 19+ minutes per mile, which was really good for a 46 year old guy who didn't do any speed work. My PB before my blood clot attack last year was 30:43, which isn't bad for a guy in his early 70s. If I run either or both of the 5Ks this Spring, I'll set a new PB for a guy in his mid 70s who has blood clots. Just for emotional reasons, I'd like the new PB to be below 50 minutes for the race.

I'm not doing any speed work because I'm increasing my distance. Thus, any increase in speed that I make this Spring will be due to having a stronger body.

My wakeup heart rate was 57 this morning, significantly lower than the 60+ that I've had during the past couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment