Friday, April 16, 2010

Another 3.5 miles

My 3.5 mile run today was about the same as the run on Wednesday. My mile splits were 17:01, 17:11, and 18:06. The total time for 3.1 miles was 53:55. During the first mile I followed Galloway's 30:30 (seconds) ratio for running and walking. The thought then occurred to me that a 15:15 ratio might be better since I would do less running before I walked. I tried that ratio during the next two miles, although I sometimes used longer ratios and even the 30:30 ratio due to my forgetting to start running at the end of the walking cycle. I'm actually counting steps not measuring time. I do 45 steps running and 33 steps walking for the 30:30 cycle and 22 steps running and 16 steps walking for the 15:15 cycle. I'm used to walking for 33 steps, and due to that habit I would reach 16 steps and keep on walking until I remembered I hadn't stopped at 16. I would then run more than 22 steps to compensate for the extra walking. As my third split shows, I was getting tired during the 3rd mile, and as I did on Wednesday I walked most of the last 0.4 miles of the run.

The temperature was 80 (F) when I left home in mid-afternoon for my run. Spring is finally here. If this warm weather continues, we'll get a lot of runoff from melting snow in the mountains, and we may have flooding.....

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to see you're hanging tough and progressing well! Vegas is also having 80+ degree weather, I need to get out on the roads earlier as to avoid the heat. Before I know it, summer will be here and I'll be forced back on the dreadmill.

    ReplyDelete