Saturday, October 17, 2009

A nice 1.5 mile run

My wakeup heart rate was 62 this morning. I probably should have stayed home and rested, but I was anxious to get outside. I ran the 1.5 mile round trip on the northern part of the Jordan River Parkway. I felt fine going out but got tired on the way back. I felt about the same as I did on my Monday run. I love being out in the fall. It is my favorite time of the year. I ate the last apple on "the" tree. I've enjoyed those apples during the past couple of months, and I'm looking forward to the crop next year.

I saw two black ducks with white bills. They were swimming in the river, so I couldn't look to see if their feet were webbed. They were about the size of a large mallard, but they made a different sound. They didn't "quack" like ducks usually do. Instead, they made a funny sounding "chirp" sound. Their bodies were pure black, and their white beaks gave a good contrast to their black bodies and made it easy to see the ducks.

10/20/09 Here is a picture from the web of an American Coot. The birds I saw were too far away for the black mark on the tip of the bill to be seen. Click the picture for a larger image.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. Reminds me to keep my eyes open when I'm running! I'm also inspired by your conviction that runners can run injury-free!
    Meantime, I thought you might be interested in having a peak at this inspirational story from the Chicago marathon, and perhaps commenting on it!


    http://good4sports.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/montrealer-battles-back-from-car-accident-to-complete-chicago-marathon/

    Cheers,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bob, that was an inspirational story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Allen - could the bird be an American Coot?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Coot

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked some images on Google for the American Coot, and the birds I saw look like those in the images. I think you're right, Marianne. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete