Saturday, May 24, 2008

A nice end to a nice running week

I ran my 4 miles again. During 3.5 of the miles I didn't have much energy, and I moped along at a 13-13:30 pace. However, during the last half mile, I felt energetic, and I timed the last half mile at a 12:06 pace. I don't know if my burst of energy was due to finally getting warmed up or to energy from an energy bar that I ate as I was driving to the Parkway or to Adrenalin from my timing of that segment of the run. What ever the reason, it was a nice way to end the week.

I made one serious mistake this morning. When I got up, I planned on running as soon as I could get out. However, I decided to run later in the morning so I could house clean a bit before I left. My wife has been gone for a couple of days helping our daughter with her kids (her husband is out of town), and I wanted the house to look nice when she returned. The house wasn't in bad shape, but I had a few dishes to do and the floor to vacuum. I wasn't sure exactly when she would arrive, and I didn't want to take the chance that she might come before I finished my cleaning. As soon as I decided to delay my running, I should have eaten breakfast. But, I didn't do that, the result being that when I ran, I had had no food since last evening except for a few handfuls of dry cereal and the energy bar that I ate while driving. The result of this was likely a low energy level, and that was probably the major factor in my sluggishness during my run. I've made this same mistake on quite a few occasions, and it is a dumb thing to do. Seems like I never learn.... My wife and two grand kids arrived about 5 minutes after I returned from running, so it all worked out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment