Monday, May 26, 2008

Day 1 of my running training for a 5K

Even though it was raining, I ran 4 miles on the Jordan River Parkway and attempted to run a faster LSD pace. At the 1.5 mile marker, I could tell the rain was slowing down, and by 2 miles, the rain had stopped. The temperature was in the low 50s (F).

For the first mile I ran a slow pace, 13-14, to warm up. During the next mile I ran two half-mile segments at a faster pace, with a short walking break between them for recovery. In both cases, at the beginning I ran at a 11:30 pace, but by the end of the half mile I had slowed to about 11:45 to 11:50. For the next 1.5 miles I ran a comfortable recovery pace, and during the last half-mile I ran a faster pace so I could time myself. However, at the end, my stop watch still showed 000000. I thought I had started the watch, but I apparently pressed the wrong button, and the watch hadn't started.

My goal today was to run 11:30 for some distance and then if I couldn't keep that pace, to keep a pace under 12 if possible. I did meet that goal. If I'm to run the 5K on June 21, I need to decrease my pace from 12:30 to 9:30. When I do a test run on the race course the week before the race, I need to do it with a 10 minute average pace for the course. If I can do the test run with a 10 minute pace, I hope the excitement and Adrenalin rush of the race will help me do a 9:30 pace for a new PB.

Today I just attempted a faster pace around 11:30. On Wednesday I'll work on that pace and mix in 4 or 5 cadence drills. On Friday I'll polish the 11:30 pace and mix in some fartleks (Saturday will be a busy day, so I'll run on Friday). Next week my goal will be to do the same thing with a 10:30 pace. During the 3rd week I'll do the same with a 9:30 goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment