Monday, May 19, 2008

A great 4-mile run

I ran four miles on the Jordan River Parkway and had a great time. The shade temperature was 75 (F) in the shade when I left home, and I enjoyed the relatively cool feeling of a 9 am run. My body felt strong, both legs felt fine, and I felt like a young 40-year-old. However, I started to feel the heat on the way back (the shade temperature was 85 when I arrived home). As I mentioned in my last post, most of my run was in the direct sun, although I had a bit more shade than on Saturday due to being out earlier. My pace during the last half-mile was 12:30, a bit faster than on Saturday as well as a significantly longer run.

I didn't carry water today because I was out earlier and the temperature wasn't an extreme value. I drank quite a lot of water before I left home.

If all goes well this week, I'll level off my distance at 4 miles and focus on speed. For next week, I'm thinking of using my Monday run to just run a faster LSD pace. My Wednesday run will be a mixture of the faster LSD pace and seven or eight cadence drills. On Saturday, I'll run seven or eight fartleks of various lengths and speeds combined with the faster LSD pace. I'll be using my last half-mile as the judge of how well I'm doing, along with my pace as measured by my GPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment