Saturday, May 13, 2006

Reached my goal of 15 miles

I added a mile to my long run and ran 15 miles. During the run I consumed 20 oz of orange Gatorade and 12 oz of water. I also ate an energy bar during the first half of the run and an apple on the way back. My wakeup HR was 50, and I felt ok. Not particularly energetic but not overly tired either. I'm still taking walking breaks every mile, starting with the end of mile 1. It's during the walking breaks that I drink fluid and eat whatever food I've brought with me.

Now that I've met my goal of 15 miles for my long run, I plan to level off my distance and give my body three months to get used to the mileage. I'll probably vary the long run from 13 to 15 miles so I don't get into a rut of doing exactly the same thing each week. During these three months, my pace should increase as my body adapts to the distance, although I won't know for sure until I go through the three-months of training. I'm hoping to run the Great Salt Lake Half Marathon on August 19. However, I will run it only if my pace does get faster. My time today for 13.1 miles was 2 hours 46 minutes, for an average pace of 12 minutes. I would like to finish the half marathon in 2 hours 15 minutes or less, and that will require a pace of 10 minutes.

I saw four deer. Seeing deer is common; they come down the mountains looking for food. I also saw quite a few ducklings in the canal, including four that were not with their mother. I didn't see the red fox, though.

Training Graphs

No comments:

Post a Comment