Monday, May 15, 2006

Finished the run in the dark

I had an 8 am meeting at work today, so I didn't run until I got home. I ran my 5-mile rest run and got back home just after dark. I couldn't see the last half mile of the canal road very well, but I knew it was relatively smooth, and I didn't have a problem running in the dark.

I tried an experiment during this run. I had a piece of pizza an hour before I ran. I knew I shouldn't eat the pizza, but I was curious to see if the hour would be enough time for my body to handle the food while I ran -- it wasn't. I felt tired right from the beginning of my run, and I couldn't breath very well. I ended up walk-jogging the 5 miles, although I did run the last mile because I felt better. Since it was an evening run, the temperature was higher than it is on my morning runs, and that might have contributed to my tiredness as well as to my feeling better during the last mile since it was dark when I got home and the temperature was dropping.

I saw two boys about 6 or 7 years old throwing rocks at a mother duck and her ducklings. I stopped and talked to the boys. I asked them, "How would you feel if a big giant threw rocks at you?" I then explained that the ducks are real animals and have feelings the same as us. They feel pain. They hurt and cry. I hope the boys will remember what I said and think about it as they grow older.

My wakeup HR this morning was 49.

Training Graphs

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Allen! Inspiring and informative. I enjoy reading just about anything on running as it keeps me inspired. I've only been running for 3 years and 3 months. I log all of my runs, even how many miles I've got on which pair of running shoes. I also have plotted a graph of my blood sugar as it related to running, which is why I began running in the first place. I am 52 years old and prone to inherited diabetes, type 2. The running goes a long way in keeping things under control. And I've grown to love it.
    Thanks for the good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig, are you the Craig from about.com? If so, thanks for your comments about walking breaks! And, thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm really glad to hear that running is helping with your blood sugar. Anything that people can do that helps them stay away from drugs is great!

    ReplyDelete