Monday, February 13, 2006

7 weeks to a new PB!

Today I'm starting week 7 of my marathon plan, Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday only. I ran an easy 4 miles with a couple of walking breaks. It wasn't a great run but was ok; I could tell my body isn't fully recovered from Friday and Saturday of last week, but it did feel good to get out and run. The temperature was in the mid 30s (F) with a slight breeze and sunny. A beautiful spring day. My wakeup HR was 49, and I slept fine last night.

My wife and I have been watching the Olympics, and I feel like I'm an Olympic runner in my own, slow Olympics. I'll never be anything but a local, plodder, but it's nice to do what I can. One thing I've always liked about running is that I'm only competing against myself. I'll never set new personal bests because I'll never run as fast as I did when I was running marathons in the early 80s. But, I can set PBs for each category of 5 years that I live through. Races have age categories, so I thought that I'd have them too. I just turned 70 last October, and my PB for a long-run for age 70-74 is 12 miles, set in November, 2005. I should beat that in seven weeks, including this week. I would beat it in five weeks, but my marathon plan has week 11 as a fall-back week followed by a recovery week. Thus, week 13 of my plan will end with my new PB for a long-run: 13 miles. Two weeks after that I'll do 15 and will then level off for a year. During that time I'll have to switch to PBs in weekly mileage, I guess. :)

Training Graphs

No comments:

Post a Comment