Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Hernia operation coming up next week

Today was a cold rain day. When I left, the temperature was 39, it was raining, and a 10 mph wind was blowing. I need to get a can of silicone spray and spray my nylon running suit, because it didn't keep the rain out. After about two miles, the rain stopped, the wind died down to about 5 mph, and the sun tried to shine through clouds. I took of my nylon jacket and finished the run. I felt great at the beginning of the run but was tired at the end. I've run the 6 mile course 7 or 8 times, but I'm still not used to it. I will be able to run it two more times before my hernia surgery next week. The surgery will put me out of running for 2-6 weeks, I'm not sure exactly how long. My hernia operation in the early 80s kept me from running for 6 weeks.

My wakeup HR was 48.

Training Graphs

2 comments:

  1. I had inguinal hernia surgery on Feb.17 and was "running" 11 days after the surgery. The doc said I could. I ran 1/2 mile in 7:00 so it was more of a fast walk. Now 4 weeks after I am thinking about running 1.5 miles in 12 minutes or so. It is nice to work back into running slowly. If I was well I would run too fast and tire myself out. But now I can't wait to run faster so the desire grows daily but I know I must wait and take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, glad to that your recovery is going well, and glad to hear that you're listening to your body and acting accordingly :)

    I used to run marathons and am planning on getting back into that. Thus, my goal for the next year is to get my distance up. Speed training will come later. I don't like to mix the two, because it puts a big stress on my body. I did 11 miles this morning and will be up to 15 by the end of April. At that point, I'll level off and focus on adding a fourth day and later a fifth day and still later a sixth day. These three days that I add will be low mileage rest days.

    ReplyDelete