Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Ran two miles but was tired

I woke up Wednesday morning and felt pretty good. I dressed for running and hoped my body was recovered from mowing my lawns yesterday. Last week I changed my running/walking ratio from 20 seconds each to 15 seconds each. The reason for the change was to prevent my body from getting quite so tired while I mowed my lawn.

My wife and I drove to the 100th South trail head of the Jordan River Parkway and went north. I felt pretty good when I started, but by the time I reached my turnaround point (1 mile) I was starting to get tired. I walked the last half mile and visited with my wife as we talked. I guess my body wasn't as recovered as I thought. But, running or walking, When I mowed my lawn on Tuesday, my body got really tired, and I had to take several rest stops to finish the mowing, But, when I ran on Wednesday, it was my feet that got tired rather than my body. Sometimes when I run, it's my feet that limit my distance. Other times it's my body, and sometimes it's both. I'm just glad I went out Wednesday and moved my body. Walking is actually safer than running, because the jolts to ones body are smaller, and the resulting injury rate for walking is less than for running. There is a tendency for runners to look down on walkers, when it really should be the other way around. I view walkers as my brothers and sisters in exercise, and I recommend that people do what they really enjoy, whether it's running, walking, cycling, skating, swimming, hiking, chasing grand kids, dancing, or what ever. Keep that body moving and enjoy it!

The following cartoon of a guy mowing his lawn was taken from the web.



No comments:

Post a Comment