Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Another 2 miles

I was on the trail at 7:30 this morning. The temperature was 56 (F) when I left home and 61 when I returned. I noticed, in the parking lot, a SUV that was pulling a large trailer.  There was a four-wheel hand wagon parked next to the trailer. As soon as I got on the Parkway path, I saw a film crew shooting film of a runner. The runner would run about 100 feet and then the shooting would stop. I heard the director's voice say something, and the runner repeated his run for another shot. This happened several times before I continued my run. When I returned from my 2 miles, the file crew and their SUV and its trailer were gone.

I felt pretty good during my run, although I did take three brief rest stops (one on the way out and two on the way back). It's amazing how one feels after a 45-second rest stop. I've been using a run/walk ratio of 40 seconds each. I thought I'd try a shorter ratio and changed my timer for 15 seconds each. I'll use that ratio for several runs to get a good idea of the effect on my body of shorter runs and walks. My initial impression, though, is positive. After 15 seconds of running, my body still feels fine, and I take a 15 second walk to help my body recover. Thus, I never felt tired during my run.

There were quite a few cyclists, walkers, and runners using the trail. Before my run, I started my stretches, and the sun hadn't come over the Wasatch Mountains, but by the time I finished my stretches and backed my car out of my garage, the sun was up. I love the Fall time of year. Cooler temperatures, dry air, and very pleasant being outside.

On my way back, I saw two deer go across the path and disappear into the trees. Neither deer had antlers. One deer was larger than the other deer, so they may have been a doe and her faun. The Jordan River is shallow, and the deer had crossed the river to see if the "grass" is greener on the other side of the river. It's been a couple of years since I last saw deer in this vicinity. The last time I saw a deer in the river, he was just standing there looking at me. The river looked to be about 2 feet deep at that point. During the winter, a lot of deer come down from the mountains looking for food

My wife didn't come with me this morning, because she wanted to be home when our granddaughter came to spend the day with us. My granddaughter was there when I returned, so it was good that my wife was there to greet her.

The following picture was taken from the web.


No comments:

Post a Comment