Monday, July 01, 2013

Tired but ran 3 miles in 60 minutes

The forcast for today is 104 (F), so I got up early and was on the trail by 7:30. There were lots of shady spots, some as long as 100 yards. I went north from 100th South for a mile and turned around and returned and went  for half a mile south from the parking lot at 100th South. After 1 1/2 miles I started getting tired, but I took a couple of brief rest breaks and felt fine. I only had 5 hours sleep due to wanting to get out early. During the high heat outside later today, I'll take a long nap and (hopefully) catch up on my sleep. There were a lot of people on the path enjoying the cooler temperature. The temp was in the mid 60s (F) when I left home and 80 when I returned. I'm still using my run:walk values of 60 seconds:60 seconds.

On the way back, I stopped at a bench for a rest break and watched about a dozen geese in the river.
They were swimming against the stream and were paddling their feet just enough to overcome to river, causing them to remain in the same spot. Every few seconds they would poke their head into the water to catch something that was floating by. About 5 or 6 black birds (ducks?) were doing the same thing. These birds were all black, including their heads, except for a large white spot on their breasts. I took the following picture a few years ago, and it shows the type of duck I saw today.




No comments:

Post a Comment