Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ran/walked for 69 minutes and did a bit more than 3.5 miles

We've had some visitors for the past couple of days, and one of their cars was parked in our driveway blocking my car which was in my garage. I could have had my daughter mover her car so I could get mine out of the garage, but I chose to leave the cars as they were, and I thus ran the maintenance road next to a canal, because the road wasn't far from my home. I walked about 0.1 mile and then started running. I was out early (7:30 am) and the cool temperature felt great. Lots of shade. Our afternoon high hit 95 (F), so getting out early was nice.

I saw lots of ducks and geese on the maintenance road. Usually, the geese are browsing the fields, but this morning they were on the road. On my way back, I approached a flock of geese that were on the road, maybe 30-40 geese. As I approached them during a walk-phase, they didn't fly away. They just stayed on the path. There was about 10 feet separating us when they started to walk towards the field. I started a run-phase while I was surrounded by geese, and that startled them, and many of them flew away while the others continued walking to the field. After I had passed them and had gone about 50 yards, I turned around and looked at them, and they were back on the road.

On my way out, I passed a field full of birds that were browsing the field. The birds were black and were smaller than a Mallard duck. They had long necks, small heads, and relatively long beaks. They looked like water-birds. I couldn't get close enough to see if their feet were webbed.

It's been over 5 years since I last ran this maintenance road, and it was nice to be back on the road. The road is dirt with some gravel on it, but it is relatively level and easy to run. I saw lots of ducks that were born in May or June, and they were now almost as big as their mother and were independent of her. They were, however, still sticking together as a "clan".

I took a nap when I got home, and the nap and my sleep last night meant I got 7 1/2 hours of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment