Monday, July 15, 2013

Ran/walked another 3 miles

I didn't leave home until a bit after 11 am, so I ended up running in the hottest part of the day. The temperature was 89 (F) when I left home and in the low-mid 90s when I returned. I carried 4 cups of water and drank it all, plus a good drink from the fountain next to the path when I started and also after I'd completed 1 mile. I went south from 100th South for half a mile and then returned to the parking lot. After a good drink, I ran 1 mile north to the Sandy golf course and then returned to the parking lot. I did 2.9 miles in 63 minutes plus about 1/8 mile walking after I stopped my GPS timer.

Last week we had a lot of rain (for a desert area, at least) and the resulting cooler temperatures, but this week will be all hot sun. I only had 5 1/2 hours sleep last night, and I took a long nap after my run to bring me up to my desired 7 hours of sleep.


I've been using a run/walk ratio of 60 seconds each, but last week I ran 80 seconds with 60 seconds walking. Today, due to the hot weather, I went back to the ratio of 60 seconds each.

After I reached the Sandy golf course and my 1-mile point, I took a several mention on a bench next to the path. I saw two women walking and pushing two-wheeled golf carts. After I started running, I passed the ladies and mentioned to them that I was glad they were walking and not riding golf carts. One lady remarked "we do anything to keep moving". I replied that the guys who ride the carts are heading for heart attacks as they get older. After I had passed the ladies and was about 20 feet in front of them, I heard one of them say, "When I grow up I want to be like you". I thought to my self, "good luck". I'm an old geezer and have all kinds of personality oddities, but I do run/walk outdoors 12 months of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment