Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Finally, ran 3 miles

I ran south from the 100th South parking lot for 1.5 miles and then returned. I didn't have my GPS with me and didn't record the time when I left and then returned to the parking lot. I've been trying to get more sleep at night, and my wakeup heart rate on Monday was down to 54. But, I only had 3.5 hours of sleep last night plus some naps during the day today. I didn't record my wakeup heart rate this morning, because of the lack of sleep, but I felt relatively fine during my run. I've been using run/walk times of 60 seconds/35 seconds, but I read that Galloway recommends having the two times the same, so in the middle of the run, I changed the timer to give 60seconds/60 seconds. I'm not concerned with overall speed, and the extra 25 seconds of walking helps me recover for the next 60 seconds of running.

My basic problem with lack of sleep is that I really enjoy doing things at night. I've always  been a "night owl" in this regard. In the summers during high school, I was a bellhop at a resort hotel, and I worked 18 hours out of 24 (two 9-hour shifts) and then had the next 24 hours off while the other guy worked his two shifts. During my 24 hours off, I stayed up late at night making ham radio contacts all over North America and the Pacific islands. I would sleep in late until 10 or 11, and then I would get ready for my two shifts. But, as I've gotten older, I'm finding it harder to sleep in late but still easy to stay up late. I'm having to go to bed earlier to get my seven hours of sleep before I wake up. Mornings are for sleeping and nights are for doing things...too bad society doesn't realize that :)


No comments:

Post a Comment