Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ran 2.5 miles in a cold wind

My wakeup heart rate was higher this morning (62), and as I ran I could tell I was getting tired. I thus aborted the run so I would be in better shape on Saturday. The sky was cloudy. The temperature was in the mid 30s (F), but a 15 mph wind was blowing giving a wind chill somewhere down in the 20s. My body felt OK (three layers), but my face was cold when I was running into the wind.

My mile splits for the first two miles were 16:42 and 18:29, about the same as yesterday. To give a context to those numbers, I checked my running and walking paces, and they were about 15 and 22, respectfully. This means that during the first mile, I did more running than walking, and during the second mile, I did about the same. That is what I had guessed, based on rough estimates of how far I went during each cycle of running and walking.

My walking pace shows I'm not walking very fast. This is, I think, due to my fast cadence pace of about 180 steps per minute. That fast cadence pace means that I'm taking relatively small steps when I run (good idea to avoid overstriding), and I think my walking has also adopted smaller steps. When I run and when I walk I'm using a mid-strike due to the smaller steps. I'm naturally a heel striker and have evolved into midfoot strikes.

I had minor surgery Monday afternoon to obtain tissue for a biopsy for skin cancer. That surgery may have contributed to my higher heart rate. Also, my body just may need more time to recover from my good run Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment