Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ran 4 miles again on a beautiful day

I started my run this morning about 11 am. The temperature was in the high 30s (F), no wind, and lots of sunshine. My wakeup heart rate was 56 this morning, and I felt great. I could tell that with each mile I was getting more tired, but that is to be expected. During the last mile, I was walking and running about the same amounts. This was the same as in past runs.

During my 3rd mile, I measured my stride rate as 89x2 or 178. That is the same as it was before I was attacked by blood clots, and that is a good sign. It indicates that with my body being weak from blood clots, my natural running rhythm hasn't been affected. I just naturally have a fast stride rate. Having a fast stride rate is good, because it forces one to take smaller steps, thus avoiding over striding. A runner's foot should strike the ground under his body instead of in front of the body. Having your feet touch the ground in front of your body means you're over striding, and that a higher stress on your legs and actually slows you down. Your foot sticking out in front of your body acts as a break until your body passes over your foot.

World class runners all run with a stride rate of about 180. This means they are faster because they take larger steps, not because they take steps more often. So, my question is, how do they take larger steps without over striding? I don't know. There are moments in their stride-cycle when both feet are off the ground, that is, they are coasting through the air. Maybe they coast further than we do.

Right now, a wakeup heart rate of 56 is a low value. Before my bout with blood clots, my normal WHR was 50, and 56 would have been high. Hopefully, if a few more months I'll be back to 50 as my normal value.

No comments:

Post a Comment