Saturday, November 21, 2009

I had a great 2 mile rest run

My wakeup pulse rate was down to 57, and I felt fine. I ran 2 miles and felt good during and after the run. If I feel fine on Monday, I'll do a 3-mile rest run, followed by (hopefully) a regular 4-mile run on Wednesday. I'm capping my runs at 4 miles for a couple of weeks to give my body more time to adjust  to that distance.

On Friday a week ago, when I went from 3.3 miles to 3.88 miles, I had a 13.5% increase in distance. Then, on Monday, I added a bit more to give a 4 mile run. All of this put a heavy stress on my body, and that stress was reflected in my increase in wakeup heart rate as well as an overall feeling of being tired. My rest this week, that began on Tuesday, has brought my wakeup heart rate down to 57, and I feel fine. Today was a great run, and I'll hopefully end my rest week with a 3 mile rest-run on Monday. A common problem with many runners is that they don't give their bodies enough rest, and then they wonder why they have gotten injured. Running heavy/light and taking rest weeks once a month help our bodies to recover.

The temperature during my run this morning was in the mid 40s (F), the sky was cloudy, and snow showers are forecast for this evening and tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I also went running today, it started raining on me but I didn't let that stop me. It just took me a little bit longer to get warmed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos, Patrick, for staying out in the rain! I enjoy running in the rain as long as the air is relatively warm.

    ReplyDelete