Saturday, October 18, 2008

6 Geese a-honking while I ran

Please excuse me for changing the Christmas carol from laying to honking. I was on the return leg of my run this evening, the sun had gone done, and it was getting dark. At least 11 or 12 swarms of geese flew over me, about 200 feet above me, honking wildly. I don't know if their honking was a form of sonar to keep the geese together in the V formation while they flew in the darkness, or perhaps like the lights on airplanes to keep geese in one swarm from crashing into geese in another swarm. Several swarms of geese flew over me at the same time, and this continued for a couple of miles of my run. Whatever the reason for their honking, they were making a lot of noise, and I knew for a minute before they arrived that they were coming. But about 10-15 minutes after it was dark, the geese stopped flying over me -- apparently they were bedded down for the night.

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me ... 6 geese a honking ...

The following picture is from the web. Click for a larger image.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, it was getting dark, maybe they were planning on a honky-tonk night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great comment, Bruce! Let me see if I can think of a good come-back play on words: How about, I don't know about the "tonk", but they were really having a "honk" night. Nah, I like your's better.

    ReplyDelete