Monday, June 23, 2008

The mother of all recoveries

I've been having a great recovery from my 5K on Saturday. My right leg felt fine during and after the race and during the day, including during my mowing of my lawns in the evening. However, by bedtime my right leg was a bit sore. I took a 3-hour nap after the race, and that helped me feel fine during the rest of the day. My wakeup heart rate this morning was 51, one beat lower than it was on Saturday.

This week is a recovery week, and I ran a nice 4 miles at a 12:34 pace. I was late getting out, and the temperature was in the low 90s (F). Even with the heat and no water, it was a nice run.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your recovery from the race is going well.

    So, what's on the calendar for you now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's on my calendar? Between now and September I want to extend my distance from 4, 4, 4 for my three days to 5, 6, 7 or something like that, to increase my endurance. During August I'll do more low-level speed work to get my body better adjusted for speed. Then, in September I'd like to run the 5K that I ran last year to see if I can break 30 minutes. After that, I'll be extending my distance and days to 5, 5, 10, 13 to get ready for the Salt Lake City Half-marathon in April 2009. That's the same month that Bruce will be running his 50K Ultra. Of course, I'll be listening to my body and modifying my plans accordingly if I don't recover or progress as fast as I think I will. A couple of months ago, I went up to 10 miles, but I made too big of increases (20%), so I'll be doing 10% increases this time.

    ReplyDelete