Saturday, September 30, 2006

A good long-run

I ran for 2 1/2 hours on the Jordan River Parkway. My first mile was about 11:30, a pace close to my normal pace when I have a high energy level. I didn't know if I would be able to keep that pace for the rest of the run, so I slowed down and maintained a pace of about 12 minutes for the remainder the run. I did, though, speed up during the last half-mile when I realized I might set a new PB for the 13-mile training run. With about a quarter mile left, I realized I would come in at 2:35 not the 2:33 I needed for a new PB, and since I was past my 2 1/2 hour time, I stopped and walked to my car. There was a 5-10 mph headwind going out and a corresponding tail wind coming back.

A 2:35 is a good time, considering that I took 12 walking breaks of 30-60 seconds each and walked both ends of the big hill that contains the detour into the residential section; I also walked up the big hill that contains my turn-around point. I like the Jordan River Parkway, because it contains the two big hills and several small hills. When I ran in Massachusetts, I got so used to hills that I didn't even think about them being hills; they were just my normal routes.

It was a beautiful fall day. My wakeup HR was 51, and I felt fine -- not energetic but still fine. I was on the trail before sunrise and felt slightly cold. Once the sun came up, I felt fine and did my normal sweating. I drank 20 oz of Gatorade and 12 oz of water. The shade temperature was in the 50s (F) when I returned.

I've been sleeping well the past few days, and if I sleep well over the weekend, my wakeup HR should begin dropping on Monday or Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Howdy Allen! 2 1/2 hours is quite an accomplishment, your training is coming along very well! You're a fantastic example for me. Happy trails, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bruce,

    Yes, my training is going well! About 6 months ago, it took me 3 hours to do 13 miles, and now I'm down to 2:35 or so.

    My goal for the long run is 3 hours (approx 15-16 miles), but before I extend the long run I will extend my Tuesday run from half an hour to one hour, and I'll add a Thursday run and extend it to an hour. Hopefully by next spring, I'll be doing 1, 1, 2, 1, 3 hours for a five-day week. That will give me a 40-mile week. I hope I'll be able to maintain that year around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy Allen! You always impressed me with your slow and steady improvements, I have no doubts that next year you'll be running 40 miles per week with no problems. Happy trails, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a nice complement, Bruce, thanks!

    My first job in computers was from 1965 to 1967 doing computer repair. I traveled the USA and one trip to Japan. I worked alone and realized that if I messed up and damaged the computer hardware, it would be days before a replacement part was received from the factory in Phoenix.

    The computers were controlling factories, railroads, steel mills, oil refineries, water pumps, mass transit, etc., and I had to get the computers back online as soon as possible. Thus, I was very careful and methodical in my work, always double and triple checking changes I made. I guess that mindset has stayed with me.

    I programmed computers for 30+ years, and my boss commented about a year ago that I was slower writing code than he would be, but he knew that when I finished, the program would be what our customers wanted and would work correctly.

    So, I'll take more time getting back into marathoning than some, but when I run my next marathon, I'll do so without injury and without pain and serious discomfort afterwards. [now that I've said that, watch me get injured :) ]

    ReplyDelete