Saturday, February 07, 2004

Used odometer to measure course

After my run today, I drove the course to get a better estimate of the distance. My estimates were about 0.3 mile high, so my 3 1/4 mile course has really been about 3 miles. Most odometers have an error of about 1%, so the true distance should be close to what I measured.

I added another 1/4 mile to my course today, making the course 3 1/4 miles. I ran it in 33 minutes for a pace of about 10. I don't check my pace very often, because I run at my "comfortable" pace, but I like to check it once in a while. I can't explain what my "comfortable" pace is, but I recognize it when I reach it. It's the pace that feels "just right", like I'm able to run forever. On days that I feel good my "comfortable" pace is faster, on days that I'm tired, had insufficient sleep, or running against wind, it is slower. If you'd like to read about running the "comfortable" pace, click on the Training link and then on the Basics of Jogging link. Read the essay by George Sheehan. That essay was the first article I read in the running literature, and it has been my guide for the past 30 years.

My wake up HR was 49 this morning. The temperature was 34 when I left and 39 when I returned. My course is basically out and back, but the back has some zig zags to get extra distance. The elevation change from home to the turn around is about 40 - 50 feet. Not a big amount, but it is a steady climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment