Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Keeping my balance


Getting to the second floor is now quite easy, although I use the banisters to help me get to the next step. The banisters help me keep my balance while my leg muscles move my feet up or down to the next step. My arms pull me forward, using the banister to provide an object in front of me to pull against. Thus, the banisters serve two purposes: to help with my balance and to help me move forward.

I use a cane when I do walking during the day. I could walk without the cane, but the cane provides a third leg and helps me keep my balance. During the evening and night, while is is dark, I use the 1/2 walker, because it helps me keep my balance and is more steady since it has four legs. I get dizzy when it is dark.

I'm about ready to start walking outside. My first goal will be to walk to my mailbox and back.  I'll probably use my cane outside because I don't want to fall. 

1 comment:

  1. Always please be careful about maintaining your balance. Use a cane or even 2 if you need to. You might consider, also, working with your PT on ducking down and building that reflex response rather than just stiffening up while trying to regain your lost balance & falling from a standing/upright position. a 2.5 ft drop is a lot kinder to the body then a full fall from 5 ft. Are there any treatments for countering the increasing loss of balance as we all age?

    ReplyDelete