Friday, August 29, 2014

Review of the past 10 days

Last week, my wife and I were in Provo attending a non-credit Education Week at Brigham Young University. We left home about 7 am and returned around 10:30 pm. I did no running during the week, but I did walk about 3 miles. It was a stressful week, but the classes were nice. My favorite classes were on archeology and the life of Christ. Archeologists are learning about the architecture of the Temple Block in Jerusalem and the lives of typical Jewish people in Galilee and Judah that likely applies to Christ. For example, the Jewish temple was built on Mt. Moriah, and the wall around the temple was built with a taper to compensate for the decline of the hill, giving level ground around the temple. This area was known as the Temple Mount. Many of the activities of Christ, such as the cleansing of the temple were in the Temple Mount not in the Temple itself. Money changers were at the Temple Mount to exchange the coins used by common folk into the special gold coins used in the Temple Mount. The Temple priests, who were wealthy, were involved with the money changers, and Christ was upset with them, because they charged extra for the exchange of coins and used that money to pay for their expensive homes in the "upper" part of Jerusalem. Another class that I enjoyed was on the writing of personal histories, making the stories seem real-life to the readers so they want to keep reading, so the readers react as if they were there. I'm currently writing my personal history, and I need to review what I've written and see if I can fine-tune the stories.

Two of our grandchildren attended Education Week with us.

This week has been mostly a no-running week. My daughter and her family are in Germany and France for a year doing research for two books, and my wife and I spent significant time at her house doing a few things that weren't done to make the house ready for new renters who will move in at the end of this month. We didn't do any running, but we walked around the block (0.67 mile) on Tuesday. I'm hoping to go running on Saturday (tomorrow).

We've had rain almost every day with lightning strikes. More of that forecast for tomorrow. Not great weather for running. Life is stressful sometimes, and one does whatever is necessary. One day at a time.

The following picture was taken from the web and shows the type of environment I was in last week.



No comments:

Post a Comment