Saturday, August 31, 2013

Ended the week with a 2.5 mile run

I started running at 6:40 pm MDT, and there was a lot of shade on the path. On my way back, the path was almost all shade, and the shade felt nice. The temperature during my run was in the high 70s (F).

I didn't see many other runners on the path, but I did see several walkers and a lot of cyclists. On my way to the turn-around point, I passed two men walking. On my way back, I passed those men again, and one of them asked my age. I replied "77", almost "78". He said he hopes, when he is my age, that he will still be running. He said he runs half-marathons, and he asked me if I ran marathons -- he said I looked like a marathoner. I said I used to run marathons, but I'm a lot slower now. When we were talking about my age, I replied that I had 22 more years to reach my goal of running until I'm 100.

After I got home, my wife and I sat on our patio for a while and enjoyed the coolness and peace of the evening. There are a lot of crickets chirping in the bushes. I can hear them now as I type this. When I was a boy, I learned how to get the temperature from the number of chirps, but I don't remember how it went. So, while I was typing this, I went to the fountain of all knowledge and found the following formula.

To convert cricket chirps to degrees Fahrenheit, count number of chirps in 14 seconds then add 40 to get temperature.
Example: 30 chirps + 40 = 70° F
The following picture is from the web.

1 comment:

  1. I love crickets, Allen. True gift of summer. Soaking it in here in WI.

    ReplyDelete