Saturday, January 26, 2013

Worked Out for 45 Minutes at the Gym

The temperature today had a high of 40 (F), so the ice on the Parkway path should be melting. However, the air quality has been "red" all week. When I got up this morning, the fog was so thick that I couldn't see any trees from my window. Later, as the air warmed up, the fog thinned so I could see about 200 yards or so. I decided to go to the gym again due to the inversion and resulting air pollution that we're having.

I ran/walked for 15 minutes, about one mile, and then I rode the Expresso bike for 4 miles. I tried to slow down a bit and not push for speed. The 2-mile route I took had slight variations in elevation, and I shifted gears when ever peddling was too hard or too easy for my legs. I did the route twice, and my bottom was saddle-sore when I finished. My son said it takes about a week of cycling for one to get used to the hard saddle on the bike. When I finished the route for the second time, I was ready to stop and go home. I'm glad the daytime temperature is getting above freezing. Now, if the inversion will go away, I'll return to the Jordan River Parkway.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I read your interview with Good4sports Blog, thanks I got alot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish when I reach your age I will still be as active and strong as you are. :) I can't even last 30 minutes workout at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Abbie, increase your time by 5-10% increments weekly or biweekly. The "baby steps" give your body time to adjust to the higher stress. Don't worry about speed. Just run at a pace that is comfortable for you.

    ReplyDelete