Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Ran/walked for 3 miles

I didn't run much last week because my wakeup heart rate was 64-65. Today, however, it was down to 60, and I went running. The temperature was 40 (F) when I left home about 4:30 pm. The sun was still up when I started running, but by the time I had completed the first mile, the sun was behind the Oquirrh Mountains. The run took me about 55 minutes. Due to the height of the mountains we have an early sunset but a longer dusk before darkness. I completed my workout before darkness. During the first half I had a head-wind of about 10 mph, and the chill factor made it colder than I had expected. I had my usual three layers, but I felt cold. However, my body warmed up as I continued my workout, and I felt fine on the way back. The wind was now a tail-wind, and that helped me to be warmer, too. The path was free of snow, but there were wet spots due to melting snow. I waited until late afternoon to go out so the sun could melt the snow and dry the path, and the wet spots weren't frozen and presented no problems.

I forgot my GPS and timer again, so I ran for 1/4 mile and then walked about 45-60 seconds. I've been running this part of the Parkway for several years, and I know where the quarter-mile points are, so it was easy to change my pace every quarter mile. I felt fine during my workout, but I was glad to go home after I had completed three miles. This is the second time I've run longer before I walked, and I'm going to have to set my timer for a longer run-phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment