Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A new record for 100+ minutes

I ran 6 miles in 108 minutes this afternoon. I've been running 1 minute 50 seconds and walking 40 seconds, but today I ran 3 minutes and walked 40 seconds. Because of doing more running compared to my walking, I did 6 miles. During the morning before my run there were a few snow flakes falling, but during the afternoon when I ran, the sky was partly cloudy. The temperature was in the low 30s (F) when I started and about 29 when I finished. There was a north wind of about 5-10 mph. This wind was a tailwind  during the first half of my run and a headwind during the last half. The wind felt cold. The 10 mph gusts made the equivalent temperature be about 21. During the run, the sun was behind dark clouds as well as in open sky, and I felt the welcome heat when the sun was in the open. During the last two miles, my legs started getting tired, and I ran for shorter segments and walked for longer segments. It took me 50 minutes to run 3 miles going south and 58 minutes to run the same distance coming back. The time coming back was longer due to my doing more walking.

I wore my usual 3 layers and felt fine after I warmed up, although I didn't have gloves and my fingers were cold during the run. On the way back I put my hands in the pockets of my wind breaker while I ran and walked, and that helped my fingers a bit. I didn't have a hat, though, and that probably contributed to more heat-loss from my head.

All things considered, it was a nice run. I saw a couple of runners in shorts, and I wondered in their legs were cold. I wore my long pants as I usually do in cold weather.

1 comment:

  1. Hi good day,

    Great site about running. I also love running.
    I was wondering if you could please add me to your blog roll?

    My blog is: http://runningcebumarathon.blogspot.com

    Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you

    Roy

    ReplyDelete