Saturday, August 27, 2011

The early bird gets the worm and runs in cooler temperatures

I was on the Jordan River Parkway path at 9:02 this morning, and I completed my long run of 2 hours 20 minutes (about 7 miles). I enjoyed the run, although I got pretty tired during the last mile.

I didn't see many runners and walkers on the trail, but I saw a lot of cyclists. Some of them were probably from a Scout troop. There was an adult at the front of the cyclists and one at the rear. In between the two men were about 10 or 11 young boys. They were probably working on their cycling merit badge.

The Jordan River is continuing to go down. The water marks on the supports of the new 11400 South bridge show the water at that point has gone down about 12-15 inches. When I got to the tunnel under 12300 South, I could tell the river was significantly lower, because I could see a lot of rocks in the tunnel that have been covered with water. Just before I stopped at the tunnel, a lady came huffing and puffing and said she wanted to touch the bridge to get her reward of reaching that point.

When I first got to the East Pavilion in South Jordan City to begin my run, there was a 5K in progress. I don't know who was sponsoring the race, but the timing display showed 44+ minutes had elapsed since the race began. I don't do a lot of racing, but it is fun to hear from new runners who have just completed their first race. They are excited about doing something they never thought possible.

The temperature during my run was in the low 100s (F, sun temperature). The good news is that because I was out earlier, there was more shade on the path.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a nice run :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, pounding. It was a nice run, although it took me most of the day to recover. Today is Monday, and I'm off for my rest run of 60 minutes.

    ReplyDelete