Saturday, July 30, 2011

I'm expecting a large crop of mosquitoes

Because of the river Jordan flooding the low areas next to the river, there are large bodies of water that have become stagnate as the water level in the river drops below the bottom of the ponds of water. Stagnate is just the type of water needed for mosquitoes to breed. According to Wikipedia, it takes 5-14 days for mosquito eggs to become adults. Thus, we may see swarms of mosquitoes during the next 10 days. We have about 2 1/2 months before our first frost, which will kill the mosquitoes, and that is enough time to get quite a few generations of mosquitoes.  Because Utah is a desert area, we normally don't have much of a problem with mosquitoes. So, it will be interesting to see what happens.

When I moved from Phoenix to Massachusetts, I had problems with the large populations of mosquitoes in New England. Then, one day I realized I wasn't bothered by mosquitoes any more. The females would poke me and suck my blood, but I had no reaction to them.

My two sons and I had heard that if one flexed his arm muscles, the mosquitoes wouldn't be able to remove their needle-nose (proboscis) and would keep sucking blood and pop. So, one day my son and I decided to test that theory. We offered our bare arms to the mosquitoes, and when they started sucking blood, we tightened the muscles in our arms. The mosquitoes (female) got their fill of blood and flew away. We thus concluded that the story we had heard was false. This experiment was held after I had stopped having reactions to mosquitoes, and I went into my house with no problems occurring from the many mosquito bites I had experienced.

2 comments:

  1. Mosquitoes haven't been as bad this summer in East TN as last, but they still can be quiet pesky.
    My achilles had been bothering me at the insertion point for some time, so decided to try some water jogging. It was boring, but the warm water really helped. After two days of hour long aqua jogs, my heel felt considerably better. Have you tried it? What are your thoughts?
    As always, I enjoy reading your blog and gleaning inspiration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried water jogging, but my wife has. She really likes it. She gets the aerobic exercise without the shock from running.

    ReplyDelete