Saturday, July 16, 2011

Completed my long run and reached my 7-mile goal

I ran and walked for 140 minutes (my goal for my long-run), and I also reached 7 miles. I began running at 11 am and missed the hottest part of the day, although it was still pretty hot. I drank 8 bottles of water (8 oz each). There were quite a few people on the Parkway. Not many runners but quite a few walkers and cyclists.

The Jordan River has really gone down during the past two days. The path under the 11400 South tunnel is partly dry such that people can stay on the path as they go through the tunnel. The place in Draper that I mentioned in a previous post as being completely covered with water is almost all dry. On Wednesday of this week it was about half dry.

On the way back I saw a white-tailed deer (a doe). It was grazing in a field and was about 200 feet from me. As I got close to it, it hopped across the field to a grove of Russian Olive trees. It's unusual to see deer this close to civilization at this time of the year -- they are usually in the higher mountains during the summer.

I felt pretty good during my run. My wakeup heart rate was 54, an indication I was well rested. Today was the third time this year that I've reached 7 miles. Previously, I quickly discovered that I couldn't maintain the 7 miles, and I dropped back to 5 miles. Hopefully, I will be able to keep the 7 miles this time. We'll see how I feel on my next long-run.

3 comments:

  1. I hope to be as active when I get to your age. I'm traveling abroad this summer (was able to get some cheap airline tickets!), but I'm very concerned about this radiation on the airplane. Does anyone know if this is true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oMG! You walked 140 minutes. Really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half walking, half running, alternating 1 minute each.

    ReplyDelete