Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A very tired 6.5 miles

My wakeup heart rate was 55, and I felt pretty good. However, as soon as I started running, I could tell I was tired. There was a 10 mph headwind, and I thought that might be causing me to be tired. I slowed down and ran for shorter distances before I walked. I was looking forward to having a tailwind after I turned around, but after I had gone about half a mile, the tailwind stopped. Oh well, I thought, at least it isn't a headwind. On the way back I took several rest breaks of about a minute each.

During my return, my nose started to drip, and I realized I was coming down with a cold. I've been thinking about possible reasons why I might be coming down with a cold. I haven't been exposed to someone with a cold, and I've been sleeping very good. Colds are one of the symptoms of over doing it, and my guess is that is the cause of my cold. Two days ago I ran against the strongest headwind I've experienced in 38 years of running, and that effort likely put a lot of stress on my body.

In addition, I've been adding stress to my body in two ways: increasing my total distance and increasing the amount of running before I walk. I've been adding 0.5 miles to my total distance every couple of weeks, and I'm going to just increase my distance once a month. This will allow my body to adapt more to the increases in distance. I've been adding 1 left-foot-step to my running before I walk. I had gotten up to 90 seconds of running, and I'm going to drop back to 75 seconds and hold that value constant until I stop adding to my total distance. In other words, I'm going to allow more time for my body to adapt to increases in stress. When I was younger, I could handle stress better, but I'm older and have to treat my body accordingly.

The weather today was almost perfect for running: temperature in the low 60s (F) and lots of sun. The rest of the week will be colder, cloudy, and rain showers in the day and snow showers at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment