Wednesday, March 02, 2011

A great 6-mile run

I felt good today, so when I reached 5.5 miles, I kept on going and did 6. The temperature was in the low 50s (F), almost all of the snow has melted, the path was dry, just a slight breeze, and the sky was mostly overcast with just a bit of sun here and there. A great day for running! I ran 128 left-foot-steps and walked 66 lfs for the whole 6 miles with no rest stops. I used my running shorts, a long-sleeved cotton T-shirt, and my nylon wind breaker (2 layers).

When I got into the Draper section of the path, next to the bridge at 123rd South, there was a lot of trash that had blown in. I found an empty lawn plastic bag that had blown against a bush, and I used that to hold the trash I picked up. I focused on the west side of the path, between the bridge and a playground about 1/4 mile north, and picked up most of the trash. When I finished, the lawn bag was pretty full, thanks to several large pieces of trash. On another day I'll get the trash on the east side of the path.

The Jordan River is still high; in fact, it looked slightly higher than it was last week. The water is almost up to the Parkway path when the path goes under the new bridge at 114th South. The path under the bridge at 123rd South is still flooded and may remain flooded for most of the summer. That's too bad, because that will make it harder to get really long distances on the Parkway.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go nothing better when your filling good on a run. Me and Frank run 6 days a week he is 71 and I am 59 did a 20 k two weeks ago and Frank is planning to a 50k in two weeks.
    http://www.ithasnothingtodowithage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's great! You're both doing well. Tell Frank I wish him well on his 50K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on running six miles non-stop! It was a beautiful day for running in Las Vegas too!!

    ReplyDelete