Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My plan for the future

I mentioned in my previous post, that I was reminded by a doctor that my performance will have dropped off due to my reduced running during the past year. That is something I hadn't considered, and it makes a lot of sense to me. I was attributing my reduced performance to the blood clots I had in January. That may have been true during the Spring and early Summer of last year, but it may not be true for my reduced performance since then. I'm finally realizing that I haven't been running many miles per week, and I need to consider myself a beginner and go from there. If I follow the accepted training rules of running (10% rule, heavy/light) and recognize that I am getting old, I should be able to bring my performance back up. How much my performance will improve, time will tell.

So my plan for the coming year is to be a beginner who can run and walk 2 miles, and I will do my training from that viewpoint. I've been telling a lot of runners how to get started in running, and now I will be a true-life test-case to see if my ideas really do work. I'm enthused about this new viewpoint on my running! Because of my age, I will only increase distance twice a month at most, and if I don't feel ready for an increase, I'll go for one increase that month or even no increases for that month. The most important thing is that I remain free of injury and that I enjoy my running and walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment