Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Visited my doctor yesterday

Yesterday morning I called the Coumadin Clinic and talked with them about my doctor wanting me to take 4 gm of fish oil (28 gm per week) and 125 mg of Niacin per day (875 mg per week). The lady explained that in order to change my amounts of Wafarin (genetic Coumadin) they need a prescription showing the amounts of fish oil and Niacin I should be taking. Then they can adjust the Warfarin to keep my INR number in the range of 2-3. So, I visited my doctor yesterday afternoon, and she faxed a prescription to the Coumadin Clinic. On the way home I checked several stores for 125 mg of Niacin but only found 500 mg amounts. Today I searched the web and ordered two bottles of 125 mg Niacin. I'm curious to find out if getting my good and bad cholesterol levels where they belong will affect my energy level and my recovery from the blood clots.

4 comments:

  1. HI I VISIT YOUR BLOG ITS NICE I FOLLOW YOUR BLOG. PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG AND FOLLOW ME AS A FRIEND THANX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish Oil is amazing. I am 34 and take it daily, make all my family do so too:) If you have any heart issues, I'd definitely be taking COQ10. There is a ton of research backing it's amazing benefits for the heart. I use lef.org to order many of my supplements because they are top notch and the most useable for the body. Your blog is awesome! I hope I continue to be this alive no matter the age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taken a gram of fish oil for a number of years. My problem is that even though my total cholesterol is ok (182), my good cholesterol is low and my bad cholesterol is high. I've also been taking flax seed oil. The doctor said flax seed oil is a good oil but it doesn't help restore my good/bad cholesterol, and she put me on 4 grams of fish oil and 125 mg of Niacin.

    While in the hospital for the blood clots, they checked out my heart, and my heart is in good shape.

    ReplyDelete