Monday, November 29, 2004

Running in the snow

I had a great run this morning! My wakeup HR was 47 (a new low for my post-accident HR), and I felt great. The temperature was 21F when I left for my 2.1 mile run and 26F when I returned. I wore three layers: my undershirt, a thick, long sleeved T-shirt, and my nylon jacket. Had I been running longer I would have taken the nylon jacket off. I had no problem with ice this morning, because most of the snow that fell on the street yesterday had melted--just small patches of ice here and there.

Even though it was cold this morning, the sky was clear and sunny. There are about 2 inches of snow on the ground.

I've never had a problem running in the cold. My personal-record for running in the cold is -18F (run in Massachusetts in the 80s while I was doing Marathons). I sweat when I run, even in cold temperatures. I remember having sweatcicles hanging on my neck from my hair when I finished a run in sub-zero temperatures. The most layers I used in New England was 5. The most I've used here in Utah is 3.

When I was in Marathon training in the early 80s, I found I could run in the cold for about an hour without feeling the cold. After an hour I began to feel the cold because my body was no longer able to generate enough energy to keep me warm AND propel me for the miles of my run.

No comments:

Post a Comment