Saturday, July 06, 2019

Weekly update: 188 minutes

This week was a rest week, and I shortened each of my jog/walks. I went out five times this week, and on my two longer jog/walks, I tried to go out earlier to catch the morning shade, because it is pretty hot during the day. I was glad for the water I carried on my two longer outings (Wednesday and Friday), but I only carried two bottles (1 cup each bottle) of water. The water fountain at the beginning and end of my outings gave me additional water (the fountain is in the 100th South parking lot).

It is dangerous to run or walk in hot weather. The main problem is heat exhaustion, and that can lead to heat stroke, and that can lead to death! As long as one is sweating, he/she is probably OK, although the sweating should be normal for that exercise. Heavy sweating, which is sweating greater than normal, is one of the signs of heat exhaustion. But, if the sweating stops, stop your training and head for the nearest shade. Stop the exercise and get some water inside your body so sweating can begin again; otherwise, your body temperature will rise and rise and rise, until death occurs.

In hot weather, run early in the morning while it is cooler. Be careful though, because heat exhaustion can occur early in the morning, too. The main thing is if you are sweating or not when you should be sweating. However, heavy sweating which is sweating greater than normal, is one of the signs of heat exhaustion, and that exhaustion may lead to heat stroke. Normal sweating is the body's way of cooling itself. Normal sweating is good. It may save your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment