Saturday, July 05, 2014

Ran 1.65 miles again, but it was hot

I really messed up my schedule today. I went running the hottest part of the day (mid-day). I drank extra water before I left home, and I took a good drink at the trail head before started south from 100th South. Because of the heat (temperature was about 95 (F), I stopped when ever I passed a bench and rested for a minute or so. I also walked more than I normally would. I had mowed my lawns earlier in the day, and my body was probably tired from doing that. During hot weather like today, I run to survive. Spring and Fall are times to improve performance.

The first sign of heat exhaustion that I usually get is a headache. I didn't have that symptom today. Another sign of heat exhaustion that can lead to heat stroke is a lack of sweating. Sweating is the way our bodies regulate temperature, and if we stop sweating our internal temperature starts to climb. I wasn't aware I was sweating less during my run, but at the end of the run I got a good drink of water, and sweat started pouring down my face.

Because of the shortness of my run, I didn't carry water, but I should carry water when ever the temperature goes above 90. I need about 1 cup of water per mile, so I should have carried two bottles of water (1 cup each) in my Fuel Belt. Hopefully, I'll get used to the heat (to a degree at least), but in the meantime it would be good for me to run earlier in the morning.




2 comments:


  1. Thankfully, we don't get those sort of temperatures here Allen, and if we did I don't think I'd be out running.
    I never carry water, though in my marathon training days when doing long runs of 20 - 22 miles in the heat I'd sometimes find myself knocking on some stranger's door and begging a glass!
    My longest runs nowadays are only around 10 miles so can manage without water, or anything else, till I get home.
    Keep on running.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only carry water when it gets hot, like this week. I sweat continuously, and I like to drink water continuously. I take a swallow every time I walk; this amounts to 1 cup per mile. Even with all that water, my urine is still relatively dark in color.

    10 miles is a good distance for oldtimers!

    ReplyDelete