Friday, September 24, 2010

Running with Rheumatoid Arthritis, in Korea, with Bare Feet

       I am so honored to be invited to blog here; thank you Allen! You are an inspiration!



      Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Wendy, I have been running since spring of 2007, am 41 years old, mother of 2, Air Force wife, live in South Korea, and have Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). The last detail is the biggest challenge to my running, but I haven’t let it slow me down. I believe everyone has a challenge that they must overcome to be able to run and what it takes to overcome it is largely the same whether the challenge is working your running around a busy life, or a medical condition. We all have the potential to succeed or allow ourselves to stack up excuses and walk away.

       Currently, my biggest impediment to running is pretty concrete, albeit temporary. I had been running for 3 years in a coastal town where it was flat as the proverbial pancake, so when we arrived in Korea in late July, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to conquer hills! I was so excited that I did not stop to think how much intensity hills were adding to my runs and the result was two stress fractures in my right foot less than 2 weeks after our arrival.

       Over the next few months, I will be blogging about my training plan, progress, goals, and setbacks. Once the injury is behind me, I will continue with stories of my experiences here in Korea as a runner with RA, and how I run barefoot every chance I get.

       If you are interested, the back story about my life with RA and how I got started running it is all in my blog, starting with my earliest posts from 2008. My journey as a barefoot runner, starts in May 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment