Saturday, March 18, 2006

Wow! What a run!

Today I added a mile to my long run and did 11 miles. Even though I wasn't trying for speed, I ran faster than I have been and averaged 12.25 minutes/mile. That time includes 10 one-minute walking breaks and 10 brief stops to wait at intersections for traffic. The walking breaks and stops probably cost me about 8 or 9 minutes, but the walking breaks invigorated me such that I kept up a steady pace for the whole 11 miles. I ran at my "comfortable pace", and today that pace was faster, indicating my body was rested. My wakeup HR was 52. I was surprised that I felt so good, because I got home from work very late last night, and it was 1:30 am when I got to bed. I woke up every two hours to go to the bathroom and to drink some more water. Then, I woke up at my usual 6:30 am as the daylight was beginning to come in. I measured my wakeup HR then, and it was 55. I went back to sleep until 8:00, but it wasn't a sound sleep. All told, I think I had about 6 1/2 hours instead of my normal 7 - 7 1/2 hours of sleep.

The temperature was 50F when I left, and the sky was overcast. I wore my running shorts and a regular short-sleeved T-shirt. A few drops of rain came down soon after I started, and the sky became partly cloudy for the rest of the run. It was 50F when I returned.

Now that my long run is stretching out, I'm getting back into the areas of the canal road that I ran last November and December. Sorta like old home week...

Yesterday I used mapmyrun.com to map the canal road. Here is the link to my map. I've mapped 10.85 miles and still have a few more miles to figure out. So far, I've run about 8 miles of the road (not all at once, of course). The map won't show with Firefox, but it will show with IE and Netscape 8.1. I've had the best results with Netscape.

The canal road

No comments:

Post a Comment