Saturday, January 31, 2004

Windy and cold wind-chill during run

My wake up HR was 50 this morning. When I left on my run the temperature was 31F with a 10 mph wind (17F wind chill). I had a nice run but felt tired at the end of the run. I ran in shorts again, but because of the wind, I kept my breaker on for the full run.

I can think of two reasons why I've felt tired at the end of my last two runs. It could be the increase in distance that I did on the 24th, or it could be that I didn't get quite as much sleep this week as I need. Additional distance (or speed) and lack of sleep put a greater stress on my body, and this reduces my endurance. If the lack of sleep is up to half an hour, it may not affect my waking HR much, but if it is more than that, it does increase my HR.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and found it interesting. I'm a 56 year old runner and training for my 3rd marathon. I found your mention of resting (wake-up) heart rate informative. Do you also have your running/active heart rate too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bri, thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I don't have any data on my running/active heart rate since I don't have a HR monitor. Numbers that I've seen given out by other runners are: for comfortable, rest runs aim for 50-60% of max, where max is 220 - your age. For speed work go for 85% max. At least, those will give you ballpark figures, and your body will tell you if it likes those numbers.

    Good luck with your third marathon! Which one? The earliest I'll run another marathon is the fall of 07, although I do hope to run a half this August. At my age it takes more time to adjust to the longer distances :)

    ReplyDelete